7.13.2007

Out of Africa

So I just finished watching Out of Africa again. I last saw it when it came out in theaters (it was in Manassas, so it may have been at the dollar theater a year after it was released) and this is what I remember from the first time:


  • I didn't really understand the plot or follow the story line (I think I might have even fallen asleep at times).

  • Africa was/is beautiful

  • The cinematography was awesome (yes, I noticed that at the tender age of 15 (or 16), it was one of the reasons I think my parents took me to see it)

  • The plane scene was incredible, I think that is when I decided I love flying (maybe I just liked it before?).


Here is what I know now:


  • Meryl Streep was not “hawt” but strong, independent women are hot.

  • Any guy that doesn't have a man-crush on Robert Redford is either psychotically oppressively gay or dead inside or just doesn't like blonds.

  • Best line of the movie:

      Hans (Streep's husband, Klaus Maria Brandauer): “You could have asked, Dennis.”

      Dennis (Streep's lover, Robert Redford): “I did. She said yes.”

  • The British/Spanish/Dutch/Germans/Italians/French (aw, hell, Europeans)/Americans fucked it all up for the rest of us (meaning future generations of those nationalities and the people they “colonized”).

  • Dennis (Redford) came the closest I've seen in a while to expressing my reservations about marriage. (Paraphrase: Would I love you less with or without a piece of paper)

  • Karen (Streep) came the closest I've seen in a while to expressing the argument against my reservations. (Paraphrase: No, but at least you would have acknowledged that you have a reason/obligation to be here with me (there is more to it than that, but it's a start)).

  • I yearn for a true frontier.

  • Europeans/Americans mistook technology, bureaucracy and strict social mores for civilization.

  • Africa was/is beautiful

  • The cinematography was incredible.

  • The plane scene was awesome.

  • Coffee can be grown at high altitudes.

No comments: