2.17.2007

New Media vs. Old Media, Post 0

A couple nights ago I went out to dinner with my parents to celebrate my birthday and my Dad's. During the conversation I mentioned how much I enjoyed this blogging thing which led to a more general discussion of blogging and its effect. Ok, in reality it led to one of my usual rants about my disdain for the mainstream media (henceforth MSM). Mom objected to this rant for two reasons: first, on general grounds MSM is better than blogs; second, on a personal level I am depressingly negative.

This series, "New Media vs. Old Media" is my response to the first claim. Like the "Language Lessons" series this is a subject which I think about a lot and so hopefully will have a new post at least on a weekly basis. Some of the topics I plan to address are the "liberal media" myth, fact-checking, journalistic integrity, opinion vs. reporting, money and journalism, "civility", the importance of MSM, why MSM needs to survive, how MSM can survive, right wing blogs vs. left wing blogs, the mainstreaming of blogs, and more.

As to the second claim, well, I'll address it in a post that I am currently writing but haven't yet finished entitled "Negativity: the new Positivity".

Cheers.

No comments: