3.14.2007

The Mittens and Max Experiment



Well, it's not going as well as I hoped but better than I expected. Max arrived on Sunday and as soon as Jennifer and Drake left hid under the bed until 4am Monday morning (according to Jen this is his normal wake up time) when he proceeded to play in his carry box and knock things over. At least he was out from under the bed. Monday night I let him outside for a supervised outing, he was much more gung-ho than Mittens was his first time out. Eventually was able to get him back inside. During the day I shut him in my bedroom and in the evening let he and Mittens "encounter" each other. Mitts is not happy about the situation and hisses and growls a lot (if you have ever heard Mitts growl he can be very loud and can make it last for almost a minute, hell he intimidates me when he does that). Max, on the other hand, seems more interested in exploring and his hisses are more like, "yeah, I see you and I'm busy right now but if you really want to step I'm ready for you." So far there have been no attacks and I have found them sitting a few feet apart studiously ignoring each other, which I think is actually a good sign. All in all, not a bad integration so far. This morning Max seemed to regain his interest in eating but I am still worried that he doesn't seem to be drinking much water, he does seem to be adjusting though.

3 comments:

The 'Rents said...

I know Mittens, nice guy, hoping to meet new friends, a little awkward around other cats.
I've heard of MAX and I heard that he considers "Can-openers" as necessary but not particularly interesting. He's a street guy, but getting a little long in the tooth, maybe he needs a friend. Good luck guy.
-The Spa People

CandyBuffet said...

Max is a hottie! Maybe Mittens is jealous of all those cute whiskers!

The 'Rents said...

Yeah, maybe. Good thing he's a guy!!